Apply Now: Postdoctoral Fellowship at Christopher Newport University
Christopher Newport University’s Center for American Studies is now accepting applications for a two-year Post-Doctoral Fellowship in American Studies, effective August 2019. The fellow will also hold a concurrent title as Visiting Assistant Professor in the Department of Leadership and American Studies. The nominal teaching load is 2-2. Applicants must be committed to undergraduate education and demonstrate the potential for excellence in teaching and research with undergraduates. Review of applications will begin on March 7, 2019. Applications received after March 7, 2019, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
The Center for American Studies is an interdisciplinary center that promotes teaching and scholarship on America’s founding principles and history, economic foundations, and national security.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- an appropriate Ph.D. by August 2019,
- a teaching/research focus, and expertise in the study of America’s origins, American diplomatic history or diplomacy, America’s place on the world stage, or America’s national security policies or grand strategy (including U.S. Homeland Security).
- academically qualified and prepared to teach in the American Studies core, including AMST 100, the foundations of America, or AMST 300, a course that focuses on America’s role in the world, as well as upper level courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.
- Phi Beta Kappa membership is highly desirable, but not required.
Applications can be submitted through CNU’s website by following this link. The application will require the following elements:
- a letter of interest
- current curriculum vitae
- graduate transcripts (photocopies acceptable for initial screening)
- statement of teaching philosophy
- evidence of teaching effectiveness
- three letters of recommendation (letters should be uploaded with application materials or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org)
About the Department
The Department of Leadership and American Studies at Christopher Newport University is composed of 15 highly credentialed, full-time faculty who represent multidisciplinary expertise relevant to Leadership and American Studies. Our department offers a major in American Studies with tracks in constitutional studies, humanities, and social sciences; a minor in American Studies; and a minor in Leadership Studies. The Leadership Studies minor welcomes students from all disciplines and is an integral part of the President’s Leadership Program, an educational experience that empowers students to recognize their leadership potential and develop personal and social responsibility for the betterment of self and society.
Our department is also connected with the Center for American Studies, which promotes undergraduate and faculty scholarship on America’s founding principles and history, economic foundations, and national security. Beyond the classroom, the Department of Leadership and American Studies and the Center for American Studies sponsor and support student involvement in undergraduate research, collaborations with faculty, national and international conferences, academic workshops, extracurricular programs, internships, community service, and study abroad. Candidates wishing to know more about the program are invited to visit http://cnu.edu/academics/departments/lams/.
The deadline is March 7, 2019.
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.