Apply Now: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in American Studies at Christopher Newport University
The Department of Leadership and American Studies at Christopher Newport University invites applications for a tenure-track position in American Studies, effective August 2020. Review of applications will begin on October 13, 2019.
The successful candidate must be academically qualified and prepared to teach in the American Studies core as well as upper level courses in the candidate’s expertise. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to become a fellow in CNU’s Center for American Studies, an interdisciplinary center dedicated to teaching and scholarship on America’s founding principles and history, economic foundations, and national security. The nominal teaching load for tenure track appointments is 3-3.
In some cases, exceptionally well-qualified candidates may be considered for appointment at a higher rank and ABD candidates who will not hold the Ph.D. by the time of appointment may be considered for appointment at the rank of Instructor.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. in American Studies or a related field;
- a committment to undergraduate education and demonstrated potential for excellence in teaching and research with undergraduates;
- a research focus and expertise in the American constitutional tradition (preference will be given to candidates whose research focuses on the origins of America and/or American constitutionalism, America’s intellectual or economic history, comparative constitutionalism, public law in the United States, the judiciary, or contemporary constitutional issues);
- Phi Beta Kappa membership is highly desirable.
Applications may be submitted through CNU’s website by following this link. The application will require the following elements:
- a letter of interest
- current curriculum vitae
- graduate transcripts (photocopies acceptable for initial screening)
- statement of teaching philosophy
- evidence of teaching effectiveness
- three letters of recommendation (letters should be uploaded with application materials or emailed to email@example.com)
To apply, visit the Christopher Newport website>>
Review of applications will begin on October 13, 2019.
About the Department
The Department of Leadership and American Studies at Christopher Newport University is composed of 16 highly credentialed, full-time faculty who represent multidisciplinary expertise relevant to Leadership and American Studies. The department offers a major in American Studies with tracks in constitutional studies, humanities, and social sciences; a minor in American Studies; and a minor in Leadership Studies. The Leadership Studies minor welcomes students from all disciplines and is an integral part of the President’s Leadership Program, an educational experience that empowers students to recognize their leadership potential and develop personal and social responsibility for the betterment of self and society.
The department is also connected with the Center for American Studies, which promotes undergraduate and faculty scholarship on America’s founding principles and history, economic foundations, and national security. Beyond the classroom, the Department of Leadership and American Studies and the Center for American Studies sponsor and support student involvement in undergraduate research, collaborations with faculty, national and international conferences, academic workshops, extracurricular programs, internships, community service, and study abroad.
Candidates wishing to know more about the program are invited to visit http://cnu.edu/academics/departments/lams/.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about lectures, publications, podcasts, and events related to American political thought, United States history, and the Western tradition!
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.