Now Hiring: Director of Public & Media Relations
Are you passionate about the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the American Founding? Are you interested in ensuring that the next generation of high school and college students understands America’s founding principles and history? Are you looking to further your career in Public Relations? If so, this opportunity may be for you!
About the Jack Miller Center:
The Jack Miller Center (JMC) is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)3 public foundation dedicated to advancing the teaching of America’s founding principles and history at all levels of our educational system, focusing on the primary documents of the American political tradition.
At the college level, the JMC conducts summer institutes for young scholars and other national and regional programs for professors. We also sponsor courses, events, fellowships, and student activities on campuses. At the K-12 level, the JMC works with partner professors and institutions to provide graduate and professional development programs for K-12 teachers. The JMC also offers an array of resources for educators at all levels that will help them bring American history and founding principles back to the education of young Americans.
We have been in existence for 18 years and have over 1,000 professors on over 300 campuses in our growing network of scholars. We also have an expanding K-12 teacher program, currently in 6 states. We have an ambitious strategic plan that includes tripling our budget by 2026 and we are in the process of doubling our staff to meet that challenge.
About the Director of Public & Media Relations Opening:
The Director of Public & Media Relations will build and implement our Public Relations, Communications and Marketing strategy in coordination with the President and various key staff members.
The Director will report to the Vice President/Chief of Staff and will be responsible for directing our Public Relations efforts, leading a team of 3-4 Communications and Marketing team members, including an Editorial Officer, a Media and Digital Outreach Associate, and a Communications Intern. The Director will also coordinate with other JMC teams to ensure the alignment of public relations and communications activities with our programming and development efforts as well as our broader strategic goals.
This position is based in Bala Cynwyd, PA and fully remote work is not an option.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with President and other key staff and board members to develop a Public Relations strategy
- Implement this strategy via all relevant means of communication, such as print, television, online media, etc.
- Lead the Communications and Marketing team
- Manage contracts with PR, marketing, digital, and design consultants
- Implement organizational branding strategies
- Oversee the Jack Miller Center’s publications and digital content
- Work with the Development team on the production of donor publications, videos, and other materials
- Cultivate and maintain connections with media outlets and publications
- Forge and maintain relationships with other civic education organizations and leaders
- Manage Public Relations training and deployment for JMC staff, fellows, and board members
- Organize and manage a JMC Speakers Bureau for Constitution Day lectures and other events
- Take part in JMC event planning
- Represent the JMC at conferences, campus lectures, and other events
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- A minimum of five years working in a similar non-profit position, or transferrable skills
- Deep passion for the Jack Miller Center mission and for America’s Founding Principles
- Exceptional attention to detail, organizational skills, and a strong work ethic
- Excellent leadership skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A goal-oriented mindset and experience working in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience with media bookings, op-ed placements, video production, web design, social media management, editing, or other media-related activities
- A four-year degree or commensurate experience
- The willingness to travel as needed
- Ability to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines
In addition to a great team of colleagues, the Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off and paid holidays, monthly smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- Cover letter detailing your qualifications, your interest in this position and the JMC mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Director of Talent Engagement, at Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.