Jack Miller Center Director of Development
Director of Development
The Jack Miller Center seeks a dynamic development leader to join our outstanding team and elevate our fundraising efforts.
About the Jack Miller Center:
The Jack Miller Center (JMC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing education in America’s founding principles and history. By fostering the work of a vast network of dedicated scholars and educators, the Center builds stronger undergraduate teaching, serious scholarship, innovative K-12 teacher education, distinguished centers for civic thought on college campuses, and learning resources accessible to all.
About the Role:
The Director of Development will be responsible for devising and implementing the annual fundraising strategies to meet the Center’s ambitious growth trajectory, including the goal of doubling the organization’s budget to $12M in three years. This individual will be a strategic thinker with the organizational and communication skills needed to orchestrate a detailed donor engagement and stewardship plan with focus on individual interests, strong relationship building, and honoring donor intent.
The Director of Development will manage a high-functioning, three-member development team consisting of a Development Operations Officer, Manager of Donor Relations, and Foundation Relations Officer. The Director will also coordinate with a separate three-member Communications Team to ensure our development and communications activities are well aligned.
The Director of Development will have the opportunity to work with a smart, curious, and driven team of professionals in a welcoming and collegial environment. The Director will report to the Vice President and Chief of Staff and serve as a key member of our leadership team.
Our headquarters are located just outside Philadelphia in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania. This position requires regular in-office presence, and candidates willing to reside locally are preferred. Candidates residing in Washington D.C., New York City, or equivalent distances will be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development team and oversee fundraising functions for the organization,
- Develop and track strategic steps for donors, prospects, and foundations, including identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Develop a strong, individualized stewardship process, including thoughtful and effective gift acknowledgements and regular donor updates and reports
- Collaborate with the communications staff to coordinate mail and email solicitation campaigns, development of marketing materials, and identifying new prospects through email analytics
- Build and manage the planned giving program
- Oversee management of the donor database to ensure accurate and up-to-date records
- Manage donor-centered events, working with the meetings and events team
- Write and direct the production of strategic, personalized letters and updates to individual donors and prospects
- Oversee grant writing production and assist with writing and editing as needed
- Prepare regular fundraising reports for the President and Board Fundraising Committee
- Work with the President to support the Board of Directors’ development efforts
- Travel on occasion for events
Knowledge and Skills:
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in managing donor prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship plans
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems
- Ability to write clear, engaging, and persuasive content
- Ability to articulate and personalize JMC’s mission and efforts
- Highly organized self-starter, ability to work independently
- Strong contributor to team environments
- Deep passion for the Jack Miller Center mission
- Significant experience in development and personnel management
- A minimum of five years working in a similar non-profit position, or transferable skills
- A four-year degree or commensurate experience
- The willingness to travel as needed
- A goal-oriented mindset and experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Ability to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
In addition to a great team of colleagues, the Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off and paid holidays, monthly smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, with significant opportunity for advancement.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF document:
- A cover letter detailing your qualifications, your interest in this position and the Jack Miller Center mission, and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Deidre Trolley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.