Jack Miller Center Civics Outreach Associate
About the Jack Miller Center (JMC):
The Jack Miller Center is a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to promoting education in America’s founding principles and history, an education vital to thoughtful and engaged citizenship. We work to advance the teaching and study of America’s history, its political and economic institutions and the central principles, ideas and issues arising from the American and Western traditions, all of which continue to animate our national life. We support professors and educators through programs, resources, fellowships and more to help them teach our nation’s students.
The Civics Outreach Associate will assist JMC’s Director of Civic Education Outreach with all aspects of JMC activities on behalf of high school educators. This is a new but growing initiative at JMC. The Associate will work with the Director to facilitate its expansion through a wide array of responsibilities including but not limited to: the development and execution of programming; evaluation of program outcomes; drafting of grant proposals and reports; and communications and marketing regarding the initiative. The Associate will also assist with administrative matters relating to other JMC programs.
Bala Cynwyd, PA, a suburb just outside of Philadelphia (remote position will not be considered).
- Assist Director with the development and implementation of professional development programming for teachers, which can include a wide range of activities including booking travel for scholars, producing materials for events, securing venues and catering, and other related tasks.
- Assist Director in the evaluation of programs through surveys, participant tracking, and ongoing communications with teachers.
- Draft grant proposals and reports for foundations and individual donors in conjunction with JMC’s development team.
- Draft and edit regular email communications for JMC’s network of teachers and professors as well as relevant publicity materials.
- Assist Director with the development of JMC resources for high school educators.
- Conduct targeted research on civic education-related issues nationally and in specific regions.
- Manage the JMC Salesforce Database as it concerns JMC’s outreach activities as well as regional teacher contact information databases.
- Assist in the maintenance and improvement of JMC website.
- Commitment to the mission of the Jack Miller Center
- Bachelor’s degree
- 0-3 years of work experience
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; experience with grant proposals and reports a plus
- Writing sample of no more than 5 pages
- Ability to travel, particularly during the summer (likely no more than 10% of year)
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently and as part of a small team
- Detail-oriented, strong time-management skills and ability to prioritize work
- Collaborative team-player with the ability to successfully engage with colleagues across the organization
- Ability to interact professionally with professors, donors and other individuals involved in our efforts
- Flexibility and adaptability with job requirements and work flow
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
Qualified candidates should email the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file title and “Civics Outreach Associate” in the subject line to email@example.com:
- A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for JMC’s mission, and your salary requirements
- Writing sample
The Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off, smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental and life insurance.