Jack Miller Center Academic Programs and Events Coordinator
About the Jack Miller Center:
The Jack Miller Center is a 501(c)(3) public charity dedicated to promoting education in America’s founding principles and history, an education vital to thoughtful and engaged citizenship. We work to advance the teaching and study of America’s history, its political and economic institutions and the central principles, ideas and issues arising from the American and Western traditions, all of which continue to animate our national life. We support professors and educators through programs, resources, fellowships and more to help them teach our nation’s students.
The Academic Programs and Events Coordinator is an integral member of the Jack Miller Center’s academic team, responsible for supporting all JMC academic programming. The Academic Programs and Events Coordinator will be responsible for administrative support on matters relating to JMC programs including the collection and dissemination of information relevant to the JMC academic team, events planning and management for the JMC’s in-person and virtual events, and clerical administrative tasks such as program reporting and evaluation. The position is located in Bala Cynwyd, PA, a suburb just outside of Philadelphia. The position is remote to start with the expectation that the candidate will relocate to the Philadelphia area. This is an entry/junior level opening that would be ideal for a candidate just launching or early on in his/her career as there is no prior work experience required, but the ideal candidate will be able to grow in the position and assume further Academic Programs and Events responsibilities.
Reports to: Director of Academic Programs (Thomas Cleveland)
Work Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Assisting events staff with effectively communicating with participants up to and including invitations, gathering registrations and helping to make travel arrangements, and conducting the event
- Assisting in planning and executing JMC events, including producing materials for events (readers, schedules, participant lists, name tents, name tags, mailings, etc.)
- Traveling to the event location, when needed, and assisting in conducting the meeting or event on-site
- Collecting grant reports from external grantees and surveys from participants
- Tracking activities and accomplishments of JMC fellows and partner programs
- Assisting in managing the JMC database in Salesforce and Dropbox
- Providing relevant information about academic programs, fellows, and events to communications and development teams in a timely manner for grant reporting and applications
Key Competencies, Skills and Other Position Requirements:
- Commitment to the mission of the Jack Miller Center
- 0-2 years of prior experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Interest or prior experience in events planning and management
- Ability to travel, out-of-state for work for multiple days in a row, particularly during the summer
- Vehicle is necessary for this position for occasional office errands
- Self-motivated; ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Detail-oriented, strong time-management skills and ability to prioritize work
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to accurately copyedit
- Ability to interact professionally with professors, donors and other individuals involved in our efforts
- Ability to successfully engage with colleagues in different departments of the organization
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of CRM software (Salesforce) desirable but not necessary
Salary and Benefits:
Depending on experience and qualifications. The Jack Miller Center offers an excellent benefits package which includes a 401(k) plan with matching contributions, generous paid time off, smart phone reimbursement and group medical, vision, dental and life insurance.
Qualified candidates should email the following application materials in one PDF with your name in the file title and “Academic and Events Coordinator” in the subject line to email@example.com.
– A cover letter detailing your experience, your interest in/passion for JMC’s mission, and your salary requirements
– A brief writing sample of fewer than five pages