Apply Now: Associate Editor at Law & Liberty
Law & Liberty seeks an intellectually curious and driven person to join their small team as a full-time associate editor in their offices in Carmel, Indiana, near Indianapolis. Law & Liberty’s focus is on the classical liberal tradition of law and political thought and how it shapes a society of free and responsible persons. The ideal candidate will be excited by the thought of editing and writing for a living while working with authors who debate originalism, conservatism, classical liberalism, and public policy.
A typical day for the associate editor will include editing essays, communicating with authors, readying essays for publication, and engaging in research and writing. The associate editor will be able to travel to conferences to meet new authors and present their own work, participate in in-house reading groups, and enjoy many opportunities for intellectual growth.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The associate editor will:
- Edit written work prior to publication;
- confer with writers on editorial decisions;
- make decisions on publishable content;
- provide content advice on all aspects of the site;
- develop and write online content;
- become familiar with forthcoming books and authors in relevant subjects and disciplines for possible development into future content;
- promote content standards and consistency across the website.
Requirements and Qualifications:
The successful candidate must have:
- A B.A./B.S. degree or equivalent intellectual preparation;
- 2-3 years of editorial experience or 5-7 years strongly related experience;
- mastery of English grammar, spelling, punctuation and syntax;
- understanding of web content and delivery;
- ability to organize people, projects, and time;
- experience in meeting deadlines while maintaining standards of quality;
- ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- experience in representing a brand on social media;
- ability to work and communicate effectively with prominent scholars and public intellectuals;
- a strong background in one or more of the areas in which Law & Liberty publishes (contemporary politics, constitutional law, political theory, history, religion, economics, or public policy).
Desirable skills and qualifications:
- A strong record of online and print publication on topics such as contemporary politics, U.S. history, political thought, foreign policy, and culture, especially for public audiences.
- Experience with electronic editing, particularly in WordPress.
- An established presence on social media and with relevant public audiences.
To apply, submit a cover letter and a resume together as a single PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About Law & Liberty
Law & Liberty is a project of Liberty Fund, Inc., an educational foundation established to encourage the study of the ideal of a society of free and responsible individuals. As part of its program, Liberty Fund conducts scholarly conferences each year and publishes books in the fields of economics, history, philosophy, political thought, and literature.
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.