Job Opportunity: Tenured/Tenure Track Professor for Department Chair (Political Science and Geography)
The Department of Political Science and Geography at the University of Texas San Antonio (UTSA) invites applications for Department Chair at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor. Teaching and research specialization are open. JMC encourages its qualified fellows to consider this job opportunity.
The department is home to 17 tenured and tenure-track faculty members, NTT faculty and administrative staff, and 530 majors pursuing B.A. and M.A. degrees in Political Science, Global Affairs, Politics and Law, and Geography and Environmental Sustainability. Faculty members engage in individual and collaborative research around the world in such areas as global governance, comparative politics, security regimes, national security and intelligence, cyber security strategy and politics, political communications and institutions, federal justice policies, race and gender issues, social policy, human rights issues, constitutional development and judicial institutions, human migration patterns, geospatial information systems, and political economy.
The chair provides leadership in academic program development, faculty and staff development, and research collaborations and pursuit of grant opportunities. S/he also administers the department’s budget and course offerings, and oversees faculty and student conflict resolution, department outreach and development activities, and communication with internal and external constituents. As a faculty member, s/he also contributes to the department’s teaching and research missions. The appointment begins August 15, 2019.
Application deadline: October 15, 2018
The successful candidate will demonstrate sustained excellence in:
- interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
Of paramount importance is a track record of:
- academic administration
Successful administrative and leadership experience should include:
- budgetary experience
- time management and scheduling
- conflict resolution
- program/department advancement
- pursuit and management of external funding
Applicants must also be willing to teach a range of political theory courses.
Associate Professor Level
To be considered at the tenured Associate Professor level, successful applicants must have a significant record of department-level administrative experience, an established research agenda and record of publications, excellent teaching skills with demonstrated effectiveness, and a track record of service.
Full Professor Level
To be considered at the tenured Full Professor level, successful applicants must have an established record of department-level administrative experience, an established long-term research agenda, a strong record of publications in political theory or related areas, excellent teaching skills with demonstrated effectiveness, and a track record of service.
Tenure is contingent on Board of Regents approval.
How to Apply:
All information and materials associated with an application for this position must be submitted electronically through https://jobs.utsa.edu/ (https://jobs.utsa.edu/postings/9878). The application deadline is October 15, 2018.
Applicants should submit the following items electronically:
- Letter of application that states the rank for which the candidate is applying, teaching experiences, research interests, and focus on position qualifications
- Current curriculum vita
- Separate statements of research, teaching, and administrative leadership experience and vision
- Copy of all graduate transcripts
- Representative samples of scholarly work (no more than three)
- Two syllabi of courses taught by the applicant
- Teaching evaluations and/or other evidence of course instruction evaluation
- The reference providers identified on applications will receive electronic system notification Please ensure the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses reference providers are accurate in order to meet the October 15, 2018 deadline.
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.