Apply Now: Assistant Professorship at Michigan State University
James Madison College at Michigan State University invites applications for the full-time faculty position of Assistant Professor in the field of Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy. The position contributes substantially to a major that focuses on modern liberal democracy (its origins, practice, critics and defenders) from the perspective of political philosophy.
The successful candidate will hold a doctorate and be a teacher-scholar broadly trained in the history of political philosophy and knowledgeable about the debates regarding modern constitutional democracy and democratic politics. Potential areas of research and teaching focus include European politics, international war and peace, religion and politics, American constitutional politics, and feminist political theory. Review of applications will begin September 13, 2019.
- Ph.D. in a related field by time of appointment;
- a demonstrated ability to teach core courses in the history of political thought, combining serious study of foundational texts with contemporary debates about constitutional democracy and its future;
- a demonstrated commitment to excellence in undergraduate teaching in an interdisciplinary program and to achieving a substantial record of scholarship.
An application will require the following elements:
- A curriculum vita;
- a transcript;
- evidence of teaching approach and effectiveness;
- a sample syllabi;
- a sample of scholarship (e.g., dissertation chapter, article, conference paper);
- a statement addressing how the applicant’s teaching and research interests would contribute to the Political Theory and Constitutional Democracy curriculum specifically, and to James Madison College’s curriculum and mission more broadly;
- the names and contact information for three confidential references that speak to teaching expertise and scholarly promise. (MSU will contact these references within five business days after a candidate completes and submits their application with instructions for the references on how to upload their confidential letter into MSU’s application system.)
Review of applications will begin on September 13, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
About the School
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
The students and faculty at James Madison College share a common goal of addressing and examining the major political, legal, social, and economic issues affecting our world. Each major within the college allows students to examine a unique aspect of public affairs while developing strong communication, analytic and problem-solving skills. Graduates of James Madison College go on to careers in government, politics, business, education, and human services, as well as continue their education at top graduate and law schools.
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.