Apply Now: Acquisitions Editor at University Press of Kansas
The University Press of Kansas invites applications for the full-time position of Acquisitions Editor with an anticipated start date of September 2, 2019.
The University Press of Kansas seeks an energetic and experienced acquisitions editor to acquire publications in the humanities and social sciences. The successful candidate will have a proven track record of working with outstanding authors and book projects, a strong network of contacts, knowledge of scholarly and publishing trends, and familiarity with publishing economics. Reporting to the Editor in Chief and working at the Press’s offices in Lawrence, this individual will be responsible for acquiring 20-25 titles per year with an emphasis on the Press’s existing areas of strength in Native American and Indigenous studies, Western history, environmental studies, and regional studies—while looking for potential opportunities for growth in areas of emerging scholarly and public interest, focusing especially on “impact” books–i.e., books that by virtue of their author’s status, major review attention, awards, and/or extraordinary sales significantly strengthen the Press’s overall publishing program and reputation. The position is best served by an individual who understands and embraces the intellectual enterprise, is aware of the evolving changes in the publishing industry and higher education, can productively balance high scholarly standards with the demands of bottom-line economics, is comfortable with some degree of autonomy, and is both confident and collegial.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least three years of experience in university press or academic publishing
- Knowledge of academic research, peer review, and publishing standards as demonstrated by work history and application materials.
- Experience with contract negotiations and budgeting
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, as demonstrated by application materials and interview process.
- Experience that required outstanding time management skills
- Experience working with academic and non-academic authors with varying levels of experience
- Experience that required strong computer skills
- Advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences
- More than five years of experience acquiring books
- Proven track record of acquiring successful scholarly and trade books
A complete application consists of:
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Three professional references
- A University of Kansas application
Please use your cover letter to address how you meet the required and preferred qualifications. Incomplete applications will not be considered. An online University of Kansas application must be completed to be considered for this position.
About the Press
Founded in 1946, the University Press of Kansas represents six state universities including the University of Kansas, Kansas State University, Wichita State University, Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, and Pittsburg State University. Profiled by The Chronicle of Higher Education as “a distinctive model of success in turbulent times,” the Press is located in Lawrence, recently ranked as #2 in “The 50 Best College Towns to Live in Forever,” and home to outstanding shops, restaurants, and cultural attractions. It is close to Kansas City, a major urban area with an international airport and a metro population of over two million. The Press offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
For further information, contact Joyce Harrison, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline is June 2, 2019. Review of applications will begin on June 3, 2019.
Want to help the Jack Miller Center transform higher education? Donate today.